OOni Vs Oba



When persons that have been ascribed the position: god’s representative on earth, behave in the same manner as the subjects they lord over, they not only lose their divinity, but the respect usually ascribed and traded among these “lower” beings.




I am of the opinion that the Oba of Lagos could have addressed whatever issues he has with the Ooni of Ife in a more befitting manner, away from the “unworthy" gaze/perusal of "mere mortals".




Ideally People in power possess the authority and also the responsibility to lead by example but in a society where it is do as I say not as I do, such happenings are common place.




But what do I know, I am just the man on the streets.

Comments

  1. I think we all need to sit up and realize that all these Kings are vestigial remnants of a dying or dead era.

    The King of Lagos has little authority over me, except I decide to humor him and visit the palace, and I say this despite belonging to the Ojon Chieftaincy family of Lagos.

    With respect to the incident, the Ooni himself breached protocol, you do not go around to salute those of inferior ranks. He betrayed his age, inexperience and discomfort with his new status by approaching the elderly royals with the attitude of a younger person. That is what exposed him to the insult.

    As for Oba Akinolu, I will not wash his linen in public. Needless to say, he is an unworthy monarch, and a blight on the grace and civility of Lagosians.

    Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment